Wednesday, April 29, 2009

More Tea Towel Totes

I made some tote bags out of thrifted tea towels for Christmas and since then have found a lot of really great tea towels. For some reason it seems that if people of my mother or grandmother's generation went travelling the best the tourist shops of the time could muster were souvenir tea towels with maps of your visit. Sad.
I still am not sure who invented the calendar tea towels. They seem very odd. Maybe because they stopped printing them before I was born and so I have never seen one in use? Maybe they were not meant for use and only to go in that weird box of memorabilia that your mom saved for you of things that happened the year you were born? Who can say for sure? I'd love to know.
These sad dated tea towels do make for a great tote. Especially since plastic bags are being outlawed right and left. I never leave home with out one full of kid stuff and another five or six in the back of the car in case I end up at the grocery store.

3 comments:

dark cloud said...

let me know if you require any australian tea towels i know a great place that sells honey soap and about 30 different tea towels. i am pretty sure there is one with a calendar on it.

i love the bags, they looks great!

Marcia said...

You are a blogging maniac!

I need to make some of these bags and keep them in the car. Everytime I go to Superstore, it's unplanned and I get stung for a nickel a bag. Grrr.

rah! said...

as cc said, we still have the calendar ones here, or at least we did when I was growing up. my mum (who is not crafty in the least) would hem the top, put a piece of dowel and hang the calendar from a bit of string. I think grandma sent them to her, and she'd have to display them!
It's a great idea because they'd be pretty strong and about the right width for a bag already!