Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cake

Who doesn't like cake? Arlo actually. But she is a fan of icing so this is her favourite cake so far. The icing to cake ratio is high enough to interest her for a few minutes anyway.
My town's Museum and Art Gallery Society have a book sale every year to raise money. The sale is all of donated books and it runs for eight days. It is amazing. It's jam packed with books and people for all eight days, new books being brought out every day. I got an old baking book there and have started my review of the book in the cake section. This cake is called The Ultimate Chocolate Sandwich cake and it is seriously misleading. The cake is mainly beaten eggs and has a very stiff, dry texture. Blah. Not nearly chocolaty enough for the likes of me. And the icing was the type with raw egg in it so I decided not to use that recipe at all.
Luckily for all of us I had some white chocolate, whiskey and whip cream to hand. I made a chocolate ganache, cooled it and beat it into whipped cream. Ooooh la laaaa! I am not a white chocolate fan generally, but with whiskey it is sublime. Just to guild the lily a bit I added some yellow plum jam in one of the layers. I am finding that this type of icing is my favourite at the minute. Buttercreams tend to be overly sweet and whipped cream alone doesn't stand up for more than a day. Really, it's not an indulgence. This ganache and cream icing is pure practicality.

No comments: