Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Veggie Juice

Doesn't it look delicious?!?!? It was beet, celery, purple cabbage, spinach, carrot, cucumber, garlic, tomato and ginger. And it was ok but a bit too cabbage-y methinks. Next time less cabbage and more spinach, maybe less garlic too. It was hard to see the juice come out of the juicer after adding one clove of garlic so I didn't know if I'd be able to taste it or not. So I chucked in one more clove and it was a bit potent.

So how did this happen at all you wonder? Well Dark cloud recommended a book by Michael Pollan called 'The Omnivores Dilemma'. I read it and it was good, a bit gloomy but worthwhile. Then I ordered all the rest of his books from my library. I am reading 'In Defence of Food: an eaters manifesto' now, and while it is not a great read, I think it has some interesting ideas. Like how western eaters tend to miss out on eating nearly enough veggies, in particular the leafy green ones. And he goes on to tell us what we are missing and how we are short changing ourselves by eating too many seed/grain based foods. Ok, ok, like your mom always said, eat your veggies. I figured if I was truly so deficient in the greens I needed to kick start the reintroduction with a big glass of goodness rather than trying to eat my weight in salad.

Boss Hog (normally an irritatingly functional eater) thought this was vile. And poor Arlo who comes running if she suspects anyone is trying to drink juice without sharing with her...let's just say she was significantly disgusted.
It wasn't very delicious but I think there is potential to make it 1000's of times more palatable without forgoing all the goodness. Cheers to greens!

No comments: