Friday, August 7, 2009

Little Blue Dress

This is actually the third dress I have made from this pattern. I love this pattern so much. It calls for a zipper down the back but since I like not to be squeezed into my clothes, I make it a bit generous and forgo the zipper altogether. It is super easy to make and easy to wear. This one was made in a mad fit of alone time the other day when Boss Hog took the girls to the beach. I had to raid my stash for something that might work and this is OK, but a bit thin. I always try to avoid making things that need slips.
Then since I am not usually a head to toe pattern wearer I felt I must break up the pattern with a belt. (Boss Hog took one look at this dress and said he had just about bought me a package of paper napkins in the same print, how lovely) In any case, I had a bit of fabric left over from the cape I made the other day and thought I would whip up something wide and corset-y to make this dress easier on the eyes.
It is just a five inch swath of corduroy (double sided) with heavy iron on interfacing on the inside and four elastic loops on one side to attach to four buttons on the other side. Since it was such a surprise sewing afternoon I didn't have the buttons I would really like so I layered nice little shell buttons over the last of my big black buttons. I wanted the size of the big ones but they were too ugly on their own. I tried just using the four "real" buttons, the ones actually holding this corset together but it looked unbalanced so I added the four fooler buttons across from them and I think it looks better and more substantial.

No comments: