Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tiny Baking Day

You already know how much the girls and I love making and eating the delicious Peppernuts. They were our cookie exchange contribution this year. But now we have a savory favourite in the tiny category too. We made garlic cheese crackers in tiny pinches the other day and they are so good I have forbid myself to make them for "fun". Boss Hog and I ate most of them and they are addictive. I based the recipe on a plain sweet shortbread recipe and took enormous liberties.

Yes, I am one of those people. Yeah, the kind that make up recipes out of their heads and don't write them down. The basic idea is to take a shortbread recipe, remove the sugar and replace it with finely grated strong cheese. Sprinkle in any herb or spice that tempts you and season with salt. Then see what you have. Is it too wet? or too dry? Add flour or yogurt to make the dough stiff enough to roll out or pull apart. I know this haphazard method of baking would drive some people mad but this is the most fun! How can you go far wrong with a base of flour, butter and good cheese. Bake it up baby!

No comments: