Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sour Cherries

In a mad fit of canning the other day I decided to try to can some sour cherries. I am not such a fan of adding cherries to things but I think it is the fault of the cruddy ones littering my grocery store shelves. I had a craving for cherries in the dead of winter when I was pregnant with Arlo and bought a can from the store. They were horrible. HORRIBLE. Then I got a jar from a specialty store and wow. I am a changed woman. I no longer hate cherries but have now become a slave to canning my own to guarantee yummy-ness. I think I may only love sour cherries though. And to my surprise, I discovered a sour cherry tree in my yard. I don't think it has ever produced until this year (we've lived here for four summers) and the cherries are about thirty feet in the air. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk life and limb and spend a sweaty day in the kitchen for really good cherries. Ask me again in the dead of winter.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I love cherries! As you well know, I had a long time love affair with cherry pie filling, but no more! I saw the light a couple of years ago, but still have yet to try the real thing. (Like the kind you were talking about, from food specialty stores.) Yours look great, but since I'm unlikely to receive any in the crashy mail, I think I'll have to get me some this weekend!