Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Sea & me

Here's a picture of Boss Hog and I on the ferry up the sunshine coast of BC to visit Grandpa N. We have so many pictures of us doing the very same thing over the years, we had to take one more.
Nearly my whole life I spent right next to the sea. I can remember spending whole days jumping off a dock working on my perfect dive. I went back and forth on the ferry so many times from the mainland to the islands during the summers that it never occurred to me that I would live anywhere else.

Now I live 6 hours drive from the sea and I didn't really know how much I missed it until this last visit home. We took the girls down to the beach the first night we were in town and it was perfect. The tide had just come in and the water was warm. The dinner hour had just passed so most of the people had just left. I dived in and swam in the buoyant salty sea and when I popped my head out I realised that my kids thought the sea was gross. Arlo could not bear to be touched by seaweed and Eden just wanted to collect shells. This is the ocean, I thought, dive in and love it for heaven's sake!!

But there it is. My kids will grow up with lakes and rivers and will no doubt harbour deep suspicions of the things lurking in the deep waters of the ocean. It's a bit sad to me that neither of my girls seems to be a fish like their mom. I guess that's how BadBabs must have felt when I turned out to be a fish rather than an ice dancer. I'll just have to wait and see what it is the girls choose.

No comments: