Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dollies

For Eden's birthday I made her a dolly. I always struggle with buying her stuff. She, like most kids, has too much stuff. Too much stuff she never even plays with that comes from far off lands where the kids have no stuff at all. Yeah, I'm the downer mom who shows up at your kids party with homemade stuff that has no box or flashing lights. Things that don't make sound effects have little appeal in this day and age it seems. So, naturally, I subject my kids to this too. They get the prototypes usually. This time though I made Eden's dolly (she named her Rick for reasons unknown) first and thought I would make Arlo one next year for her birthday.
As you can see Arlo had a different time-line in mind. She kept asking if I was making her a blue dolly too. And when exactly will she be ready mom? Is she done yet? Is she ready now? Can I have her? The blue dolly you made for me, like the one you made for Eden, is she done?

I've mentioned before that Arlo usually refers to herself as a boy, so I was surprised how eager she was to get her own dolly. Two days later she got her dolly (who she named Lella) and was only slightly disappointed that she didn't have blue hair (how was I to know?)

The black haired dolly was the original (Rick) and was inspired by the dollies made by Emily at Inside A Black Apple. I love the way she does her felt dolly hair! But I wanted much bigger dolls, like a little sister for each girl. Eden and Arlo are pretty happy with their dolls but I only had time to make clothes for Rick, Arlo is concerned that Lella is chilly so I best get to work.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Your dollies are lovely! I think that Rick already has quite a naughty look on her face! I'm also a big fan of a dolly that wears mary-janes. Great hair!